Saturday, October 1, 2011

Feature of the Day: seattlechic

Who's ready for another feature? I know I am!

Today I am featuring seattlechic.

If your just too anxious to read through this feature and want to get right to shopping, I put her shop name as a link. :)

You will want to stick around for this feature though! Just look at her beautiful work!



I absolutely LOVE this piece! Would you consider doing one for Knoxville TN with the Sunsphere? I think that would look SO awesome!

Let's take a peek into the life of seattlechic to see where such beautiful jewelry is not just created, but inspired.

I was born a geek in New Orleans, La., decades before the word "geek" existed. After majoring in Latin & teaching in high school, I moved with my husband & young daughter to the Seattle area in 1973. Since then, I've enjoyed careers as a programmer, IRS tax assistor, classroom teacher, & customer instructor. In 2006 I struggled through my first beaded necklace & 6 months later began selling jewelry to encouraging (& surprised) friends. But my career as a jewelry designer surprised me the most! I think the common thread through all my professions has been the satisfaction of conquering technical challenges inherent in each. Whether debugging a stubborn programming problem or engineering a pendant with a 3-D skyline of Seattle cut from metal sheet, I'm obsessed with the challenge. I don't understand the word QUIT until I have a PLAN for the SOLUTION. (Obviously my husband is a saint!) But what surprises me most about my 6 years creating jewelry is the imagination I didn't know I had as a life-long geek. I'd never been a crafter. Apparently the right side of my brain finally came alive. Since 2006, I've been on a steep learning curve, moving from beading to wire work to metalsmithing, thanks to a few key classes along the way & a lot of experimenting. The most rewarding part of this craft is each happy ending to the process-- from literally dreaming a unique design at night, to successfully tackling its technical challenges, to hearing customers say that I have the "most unusual variety of beautiful jewelry they've seen." I'm humbled by his compliment & more grateful than I can express.
If you're starting a new 1-(wo)man business, you might enjoy my blog UNWIRED, http://seattlebeadcreations.blogspot.com/ which tells what I've learned while "stumbling up the road to success". My newest online store is SEATTLECHIC at Zibbet.com. What a supportive, helpful community of tech staff & artists-- and a great online marketplace for shopping handmade gifts & craft supplies!
I don't know what surprises lie ahead in the curvy path of my professional life, but I see many niches in jewelry design I still want to explore, with all the challenges involved. My motto is still
BRING 'EM ON


You go girl! If you can't tell, I can relate because I'm a bit of a geek myself. ;)

Here are a few more highly creative pieces from seattlechic...



I would LOOOOVE to post more from her shop, but I don't have much room here... SO GO CHECK OUT HER SHOP!!!!

I want to thank seattlechic for letting me feature such a lovely shop on my blog.

I also want to thank my readers and followers. I know I disappeared there for awhile. Some of you know I was (and still am) getting over bronchitis. I appreciate your patience through this and am looking forward to bringing you another beautiful shop from zibbet soon.

I was not compensated for the featuring of this online store. The opinions above are my own. If you too would like to have your zibbet shop featured on "The Sellers Nook" please comment below with a link to your zibbet shop and why you think you should be featured. If there are many comments the next featured seller will be randomly selected.

4 comments:

  1. Ashley, thank you a million times for this article. Very generous of you to feature artists in your blog space, especially when you're sick!!! Get well soon, & may all the good karma you're spreading bounce back your way:) Cheryl /SeattleChic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed! Please get well soon! You do so much for so many. I know everyone you've featured and will feature appreciate all your hard work. I'm new to following your blog but I have loved everything I've seen!

    I did leave a comment on the thread you started on Zibbet about possibly becoming a feature, and since I've been reading, I've hoped even more!
    This holiday season I've dedicated my blog to bringing more awareness to the hand-crafters - Inspired by Bellina Creations, I'm trying to make a push for people to buy handmade this holiday season, even if it's just one thing, to stop putting money in the hands of huge mega-stores who don't care if they're selling us junk!
    My blog isn't nearly as awesome as yours is, but I'm hoping to make SOME kind of difference this season!
    Get well soon, and thank you for all of your hard work!
    <3
    ~Geri
    http://www.zibbet.com/DreamWeaverJewelry
    http://www.facebook.com/DreamWeaverJewelry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great feature! When's the next one?
    Oh, thought you might like to know, I've given you the Liebster Award - come see! http://breathofthedragon.blogspot.com/2011/10/i-won-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. such wonderful work!!! And I am always in awww when you feature one of your knew items CHeryl.

    ReplyDelete